The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2018 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME A-Z

Stoltz

Jean-Baptiste Stoltz (1813-1874) learned his craft from John Abbey. He became foreman at Daublaine and Callinet , residing at this workshop for ten years. In 1845 the Daublaine-Callinet company was bought by Ducroquet, who appointed Barker as foreman. Stolz resigned and started his own workshop in Paris, 33, avenue de Saxe, in 1852 (Stoltz et Schaff, from 1865 onwards Stolz). Despite the strong competition from Cavaillé-Coll, Stoltz gradually conquered a considerable prestige. On his death in 1874 two of sons, Eugene and Edouard (his third son, Jules-Albert, became a famus organist) founded a company under the name of Stoltz Frères (brothers) and subsequently built a hundred organs in France, and a more restricted number in other countries, including Spain, the United Kingdom, Cuba, Peru, Greece, Philippines and Syria. Relatively good preserved instruments of the brothers Stoltz can be found in Saint-Médard, Paris V and Sainte Marguerite, Paris XI.
Organs of Paris

Stoltz

ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt COLOPHON
Jean-Baptiste Stoltz (1813-1874) learned his craft from John Abbey. He became foreman at Daublaine and Callinet , residing at this workshop for ten years. In 1845 the Daublaine-Callinet company was bought by Ducroquet, who appointed Barker as foreman. Stolz resigned and started his own workshop in Paris, 33, avenue de Saxe, in 1852 (Stoltz et Schaff, from 1865 onwards Stolz). Despite the strong competition from Cavaillé-Coll, Stoltz gradually conquered a considerable prestige. On his death in 1874 two of sons, Eugene and Edouard (his third son, Jules-Albert, became a famus organist) founded a company under the name of Stoltz Frères (brothers) and subsequently built a hundred organs in France, and a more restricted number in other countries, including Spain, the United Kingdom, Cuba, Peru, Greece, Philippines and Syria. Relatively good preserved instruments of the brothers Stoltz can be found in Saint-Médard, Paris V and Sainte Marguerite, Paris XI.