The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2024 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME ALL ORGANS

Chamber organs

(Orgues de salon)

Maurice and Marie-Madeleine Duruflé Organ Gonzalez, 1967 (III/30) Jean Galard Organ (Baby-)Gonzalez, 196x (II/2) Comtesse de Béhague Organ Charles Mutin (1906), moved to the Palais de Béhague in the big concert hall (Salle Byzantin). Comte Christian de Bertier de Sauvigny (1904) Organ Merklin (1904). It’s a chamber organ (III/30) of the landgrave Christian Bertier de Sauvigny (1864-1939). It was moved to Saint-Dominique in 1944-45. Plus d’info… Joseph Bonnet Organ Mutin (1912, transformed by Convers in 1924). Now in the chapelle Sainte-Jeanne-d'Arc de Coetquidan (Morbihan). Thanks to Olivier Geoffroy for this information. Composition. Nadia Boulanger (1887-1979) Organ Mutin inaugurated on February 4, 1905. After her death, the organ is given to the musée de la Cité de la musique in Paris. Composition. André Chauvin Organ Benoit et Sarelot (1986), designed by André Isoir. Originally, it was the personal organ of André Chauvin, organist of the Prytanée militaire de La Flèche. The organ was sold in 2014 to the Centre Hospitalier National d’Ophtalmologie des Quinze-Vingts and installed in the Chapelle Saint-Remi. Comtesse de Cossé-Brissac Organ Mutin (1905). Now in Notre-Dame de Sancerre (Cher). Composition. Mme Dujarric In 1988, this organ of the mansion of Ms Dujarric in Boulogne-Billancourt, was given to the parish of Sainte- Odile: due to financial restrictions, the pipework is not yet installed. Marcel Dupré An important part of the organ of Saint-Gabriel (built by Chrétien et Laurent Steinmetz in 1982) comes from a Cavaillé-Coll chamber organ which is said to belonged to Marcel Dupré. Baron d'Erlanger Organ Cavaillé-Coll, 1865 (opus 250-229). It was given to the city oif Paris in 1927 by the son of the baron, and then installed in the chapel of the Sorbonne by Convers- Cavaillé-Coll and then installed at Saint-Jacques-du-Haut- Pas. Eugène Gigout A small organ Cavaillé-Coll (1987) in the mansion of Gigout at 63 bis rue Jouffroy (XVIIe Arr ). The organ was equipped with a manual blower that his students operated themselves during lessons. Gigout was a close friend of Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, so he got the instrument at a very reduced price. Gigout sold his organ in 1900 to the Ecole des Francs-Bourgeois. Charles Gounod Organ Cavaillé-Coll, 1879, II/16 (12). This organ remained until 1937 in the master's salon (located at 20 Place Malesherbes in Paris) until his daughter, the Baroness de Lassus, gave it to the Institut des Jeunes Aveugles in Bordeaux at the instigation of André Marchal. It was transferred from Bordeaux to Ambarès-la-Grave (Gironde) to the Institute for the Deaf and Blind (IRSA) in his original state. It has been classified as a historical monument since 2009. It is now installed and restored in the church of La Sauve Majeure (Gironde). Jean Huré OrganCavaillé-Mutin (1915-1920). Now in Saint Christophe de Javel. In 1970, it was reconstructed by Schwenkedel. Georges Jacob (1877-1950) Organ Mutin (1900-1905). Now in Sainte-Marie- Madeleine de Domont. Composition. Léonce de St Martin Organ Gaston Gutschenritter (1922), moved to Notre Dame de l’Assomption de Passy in 1959. Baron Albert de l'Espée See: Sacré-Coeur and Saint-Antoine-de-quinze-vingts Comtesse Anna de Noailles Organ Cavaillé-Coll (1898). The Countess sold it in 1905 to the Aviné family of Dreux (Eure-et-Loir) to reward the grandson of the family: Émile (pupil of Alexandre Guilmant and Louis Vierne) with his first organ prize (1904). He ceded the instrument to the parish of Saint-Joseph des Épinettes at the end of 1910.According to the national inventory of organs, this organ is an old salon organ built by Cavaillé-Coll in 1880 for Samuel Rousseau, as a gift following the obtaining of his Organ Prize at the Paris Conservatory in the class of Alexandre Guilmant. Madame Sulzbach Organ Mutin (1910). Now installed as choir organ in Heilig Hartkerk Hilversum (Pays-Bas). Pauline Viardot In 1851, CAVAILLE-COLL built for the music salon of the singer Pauline Viardot an organ of 14 stops spread over 2 keyboards and a pedal. Stoplist (at the origin): 1st keyboard: Flûte harmonique 8, Flûte octaviante 4, Octavin 2, Dessus Bourdon 16, Basse Trompette 8, Dessus Trompette 8, Basse Basson 8, Dessus Hautbois 2nd Keyboard: Principal 8, Bourdon 8, Viole de gambe 8, Voix céleste 8, Gambe 4, Doublette 2. Pedal : Bourdon 16, Flûte 8. It is the instrument around which the cultural elite gathers, Thursday evenings, at the show of Viardot: Flaubert, Victor Hugo, George Sand, Delacroix, Doré, Berlioz, Liszt and Saint- Saëns are there. The console, richly decorated, is separated from the case and is arranged so that the performer is facing his audience.The stops of the orchestral color Récit accompany the solo stops keyboard of the great organ. This is the first Cavaillé-Coll equipped with a German pedalboard of 30 keys with two pedal games independent Bourdon 16 and Flute 8. Pauline Viardot accompanies when she sings a repertoire borrowed from the opera and she plays them She invites famous organists such as Alexandre Guilmant and those of the rising generation, like Eugène Gigout introduced by Camille Saint-Saëns. (from the Bulletin of the Friends of the Quebec Organ No. 18). Pauline Viardot sells her organ to the parish of Notre- Dame de Melun (Seine-et-Marne) at the end of 1885. Since then, several more or less adequate interventions took place: in 1896 by Charles Mutin, in 1912 by the House Duputel, in 1955 by Paul-Marie Koenig, and in 1966 by Jean Jonet. Charles-Marie Widor In 1892, Charles-Marie Widor commissioned Cavaillé-Coll fils to create a 10-stop salon organ whose case was inspired by the 1747 organ known as the "du Dauphin" organ, kept at the Palace of Versailles. After moving twice over the years, the organ was finally installed in the room of the "Musée de Caen". Owner unknown Now at the chapelle de Franklin du Collège et lycée Saint- Louis-de-Gonzague. The date and provenance of the organ are unknown, but it is possible that it was an old chamber organ (perhaps built by Aeolian Skinner). It was purchased by the college in 1964.
L’orgue du cabinet de travail de Charles Gounod Charles Gounod, 1893 Chamber organ of Pauline Viardot The organ of Notre-Dame de Melun
Organs of Paris

Chamber organs

(Orgues de salon)

ORGANS OF PARIS © 2024 Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
Maurice and Marie-Madeleine Duruflé Organ Gonzalez, 1967 (III/30) Jean Galard Organ (Baby-)Gonzalez, 196x (II/2) Comtesse de Béhague Organ Charles Mutin (1906), moved to the Palais de Béhague in the big concert hall (Salle Byzantin). Comte Christian de Bertier de Sauvigny (1904) Organ Merklin (1904). It’s a chamber organ (III/30) of the landgrave Christian Bertier de Sauvigny (1864- 1939). It was moved to Saint-Dominique in 1944-45. Plus d’info… Joseph Bonnet Organ Mutin (1912, transformed by Convers in 1924). Now in the chapelle Sainte-Jeanne-d'Arc de Coetquidan (Morbihan). Thanks to Olivier Geoffroy for this information. Composition. Nadia Boulanger (1887-1979) Organ Mutin inaugurated on February 4, 1905. After her death, the organ is given to the musée de la Cité de la musique in Paris. Composition. André Chauvin Organ Benoit et Sarelot (1986), designed by André Isoir. Originally, it was the personal organ of André Chauvin, organist of the Prytanée militaire de La Flèche. The organ was sold in 2014 to the Centre Hospitalier National d’Ophtalmologie des Quinze-Vingts and installed in the Chapelle Saint-Remi. Comtesse de Cossé-Brissac Organ Mutin (1905). Now in Notre-Dame de Sancerre (Cher). Composition. Mme Dujarric In 1988, this organ of the mansion of Ms Dujarric in Boulogne-Billancourt, was given to the parish of Sainte-Odile: due to financial restrictions, the pipework is not yet installed. Marcel Dupré An important part of the organ of Saint-Gabriel (built by Chrétien et Laurent Steinmetz in 1982) comes from a Cavaillé-Coll chamber organ which is said to belonged to Marcel Dupré. Baron d'Erlanger Organ Cavaillé-Coll, 1865 (opus 250-229). It was given to the city oif Paris in 1927 by the son of the baron, and then installed in the chapel of the Sorbonne by Convers-Cavaillé-Coll and then installed at Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas. Eugène Gigout A small organ Cavaillé-Coll (1987) in the mansion of Gigout at 63 bis rue Jouffroy (XVIIe Arr ). The organ was equipped with a manual blower that his students operated themselves during lessons. Gigout was a close friend of Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, so he got the instrument at a very reduced price. Gigout sold his organ in 1900 to the Ecole des Francs-Bourgeois. Charles Gounod Organ Cavaillé-Coll, 1879, II/16 (12). This organ remained until 1937 in the master's salon (located at 20 Place Malesherbes in Paris) until his daughter, the Baroness de Lassus, gave it to the Institut des Jeunes Aveugles in Bordeaux at the instigation of André Marchal. It was transferred from Bordeaux to Ambarès-la-Grave (Gironde) to the Institute for the Deaf and Blind (IRSA) in his original state. It has been classified as a historical monument since 2009. It is now installed and restored in the church of La Sauve Majeure (Gironde). Jean Huré OrganCavaillé-Mutin (1915-1920). Now in Saint Christophe de Javel. In 1970, it was reconstructed by Schwenkedel. Georges Jacob (1877-1950) Organ Mutin (1900-1905). Now in Sainte-Marie- Madeleine de Domont. Composition. Léonce de St Martin Organ Gaston Gutschenritter (1922), moved to Notre Dame de l’Assomption de Passy in 1959. Baron Albert de l'Espée See: Sacré-Coeur and Saint-Antoine-de-quinze-vingts Comtesse Anna de Noailles Organ Cavaillé-Coll (1898). The Countess sold it in 1905 to the Aviné family of Dreux (Eure-et-Loir) to reward the grandson of the family: Émile (pupil of Alexandre Guilmant and Louis Vierne) with his first organ prize (1904). He ceded the instrument to the parish of Saint-Joseph des Épinettes at the end of 1910.According to the national inventory of organs, this organ is an old salon organ built by Cavaillé-Coll in 1880 for Samuel Rousseau, as a gift following the obtaining of his Organ Prize at the Paris Conservatory in the class of Alexandre Guilmant. Madame Sulzbach Organ Mutin (1910). Now installed as choir organ in Heilig Hartkerk Hilversum (Pays-Bas). Pauline Viardot In 1851, CAVAILLE-COLL built for the music salon of the singer Pauline Viardot an organ of 14 stops spread over 2 keyboards and a pedal. Stoplist (at the origin): 1st keyboard: Flûte harmonique 8, Flûte octaviante 4, Octavin 2, Dessus Bourdon 16, Basse Trompette 8, Dessus Trompette 8, Basse Basson 8, Dessus Hautbois 2nd Keyboard: Principal 8, Bourdon 8, Viole de gambe 8, Voix céleste 8, Gambe 4, Doublette 2. Pedal : Bourdon 16, Flûte 8. It is the instrument around which the cultural elite gathers, Thursday evenings, at the show of Viardot: Flaubert, Victor Hugo, George Sand, Delacroix, Doré, Berlioz, Liszt and Saint-Saëns are there. The console, richly decorated, is separated from the case and is arranged so that the performer is facing his audience.The stops of the orchestral color Récit accompany the solo stops keyboard of the great organ. This is the first Cavaillé-Coll equipped with a German pedalboard of 30 keys with two pedal games independent Bourdon 16 and Flute 8. Pauline Viardot accompanies when she sings a repertoire borrowed from the opera and she plays them She invites famous organists such as Alexandre Guilmant and those of the rising generation, like Eugène Gigout introduced by Camille Saint-Saëns. (from the Bulletin of the Friends of the Quebec Organ No. 18). Pauline Viardot sells her organ to the parish of Notre-Dame de Melun (Seine-et-Marne) at the end of 1885. Since then, several more or less adequate interventions took place: in 1896 by Charles Mutin, in 1912 by the House Duputel, in 1955 by Paul-Marie Koenig, and in 1966 by Jean Jonet. Charles-Marie Widor In 1892, Charles-Marie Widor commissioned Cavaillé-Coll fils to create a 10-stop salon organ whose case was inspired by the 1747 organ known as the "du Dauphin" organ, kept at the Palace of Versailles. After moving twice over the years, the organ was finally installed in the room of the "Musée de Caen". Owner unknown Now at the chapelle de Franklin du Collège et lycée Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague. The date and provenance of the organ are unknown, but it is possible that it was an old chamber organ (perhaps built by Aeolian Skinner). It was purchased by the college in 1964.