The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2018 Vincent Hildebrandt          HOME       A-Z           

Barker

Saint Pierre de Montrouge

Parisian organs built by Barker

Saint Augustin (1868) Saint Pierre de Montrouge (1886)
Charles     Spackman     Barker     (1804-1879) was     born     in     Bath     (UK)     and     studied medicine   at   first.   But   soon   he   turned   to the     art     of     organ     building,     which     he learned     in     London.     He     invented     the famous       Barker-machine,       which       he brought   to   Paris   in   1837   on   invitation   of Cavaillé-Coll.    He    became    co-director    of the    Daublaine-Callinet    firm    in    1841.    He          directed   the   rebuilding   of   the   organ   of   St   Eustache   in   1844   and   the renovation   of   the   organ   of   Saint   Sulpice   in   1846.   The   Daublaine- Callinet   firm   was   bought   by   Pierre-Alexandre   Ducroquet   in   1845 with    whom    he    became    associated.    In    1855,    the    company    was bought   by   Joseph   Merklin   and   Barker   hold   his   position   until   1857, when   he   started   his   own   company   with   his   former   foreman   Charles Verschneider   (1825-1865).   He   built   two   organs   in   Paris   (Saint-Pierre- de-Montrouge   and   Saint   Augustin).   He   also   renovated   the   organ   of François-Henri    Lesclop    in    Notre-Dame-des-Victoires    in    1870.    All have been modified. Barker    was    a    pioneer    in    experimenting    with    electric    keyboard action. He   left   France   during   the   war   of   1870   and   moved   to   Dublin,   where he built the organs of the cathedral. He died in 1879.
Organs of Paris

Barker

ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt     COLOPHON
Charles   Spackman   Barker   (1804-1879)   was   born   in   Bath   (UK)   and studied   medicine   at   first.   But   soon   he   turned   to   the   art   of   organ building,    which    he    learned    in    London.    He    invented    the    famous Barker-machine,   which   he   brought   to   Paris   in   1837   on   invitation   of Cavaillé-Coll.   He   became   co-director   of   the   Daublaine-Callinet   firm in   1841.   He         directed   the   rebuilding   of   the   organ   of   St   Eustache   in 1844   and   the   renovation   of   the   organ   of   Saint   Sulpice   in   1846.   The Daublaine-Callinet   firm   was   bought   by   Pierre-Alexandre   Ducroquet in   1845   with   whom   he   became   associated.   In   1855,   the   company was   bought   by   Joseph   Merklin   and   Barker   hold   his   position   until 1857,   when   he   started   his   own   company   with   his   former   foreman Charles    Verschneider    (1825-1865).    He    built    two    organs    in    Paris (Saint-Pierre-de-Montrouge   and   Saint   Augustin).   He   also   renovated the   organ   of   François-Henri   Lesclop   in   Notre-Dame-des-Victoires   in 1870. All have been modified. Barker    was    a    pioneer    in    experimenting    with    electric    keyboard action. He   left   France   during   the   war   of   1870   and   moved   to   Dublin,   where he built the organs of the cathedral. He died in 1879.
Saint Pierre de Montrouge

Parisian organs built by Barker

Saint Augustin (1868) Saint Pierre de Montrouge (1886)