The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2018 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME A-Z

Somer

Chateau de Versailles

Organs in the Parisian region

built by Somer

Versailles, Chateau
Little is known about Nicolas Somer (around 1731-1771). He built three organs for the castle of Versailles (1747-1753). One of these organs is still present at the ‘Grand cabinet’ of Madame Adélaïde (photo), another was moved to the Versailles cathedral St. Louis and from there to St Sulpice in 1804, until 1868, when it was returned to Versailles and stored, waiting for a new destination. He made a new organ for the convent of the ‘Bernardines de Penthémont’ (1765) and started works on the organ of St. Etienne-du-Mont (finished after his death by Francois-Henri Clicquot). He had three sons, all organ builders: Jacques-Joseph, Louis-Nicolas et Antoine-Jean (or Jean-Antoine). Louis Somer did not work in Paris. Jean-Antoine Somer (1738-1830) primarily refurbished organs which had been damaged during the revolution. He moved the former organ of the Jacobins' church of St. Honoré street to St- Philippe-du-Roule in 1799 and moved the former organ of the St. Victor Abbey to Saint-Germain-des-Prés in 1809. He repaired the organ of St-Louis-des-Invalides in 1806-1807. From 1821 until his death in 1830, he was associated with Louis Callinet . They built the old organ of the ‘Oratoire-du-Louvre’ church (1828) and repaired the organ of Saint-Germain-des-Prés (1828).
Organs of Paris

Somer

Chateau de Versailles

Organs in the Parisian region

built by Somer

Versailles, Chateau
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt COLOPHON
Little is known about Nicolas Somer (around 1731-1771). He built three organs for the castle of Versailles (1747-1753). One of these organs is still present at the ‘Grand cabinet’ of Madame Adélaïde (photo), another was moved to the Versailles cathedral St. Louis and from there to St Sulpice in 1804, until 1868, when it was returned to Versailles and stored, waiting for a new destination. He made a new organ for the convent of the ‘Bernardines de Penthémont’ (1765) and started works on the organ of St. Etienne-du-Mont (finished after his death by Francois-Henri Clicquot). He had three sons, all organ builders: Jacques-Joseph, Louis-Nicolas et Antoine-Jean (or Jean-Antoine). Louis Somer did not work in Paris. Jean-Antoine Somer (1738-1830) primarily refurbished organs which had been damaged during the revolution. He moved the former organ of the Jacobins' church of St. Honoré street to St- Philippe-du-Roule in 1799 and moved the former organ of the St. Victor Abbey to Saint-Germain-des-Prés in 1809. He repaired the organ of St-Louis-des-Invalides in 1806-1807. From 1821 until his death in 1830, he was associated with Louis Callinet . They built the old organ of the ‘Oratoire-du-Louvre’ church (1828) and repaired the organ of Saint-Germain-des-Prés (1828).