The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2018 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME A-Z

Other

organ builders

XIX-XXth century

1-2-3

François Delangue (*1959) learned his skills at the Haerpfer- Erman company. He had his own company in Amanvillers from 1984-1994. He worked on the organ of the Chapelle Notre-Dame de l'hôpital du Val-de-grâce . Henry Didier (1861-1918) learned his skills in the workshop of his father Charles Didier (1831-1881), who had been apprentice at the workshop of Merklin. After a period in the Caribbean region, he returned to France in 1889 and in 1890 he was associated with Mutin (Mutin et Cie) for a short period. After a successful period during the years 1890-1900, his workshop steadily lost quality and work. His son François Didier (1894- 1939) tried to recover the firm, but eventually, he had to sell his workshop in 1930 to Jacquot (Rambervillers). He built the organ of Saint-Joseph-des-carmes (1902) Frobenius Orgelbyggeri was founded by Theodor Frobenius (1885–1972) in 1909. After 1925, he adopted the style of the Organ Reform Movement and neo-classical design. When Theodor's sons Walther and Erik joined the company in 1944, they began to build organs in the classical tradition, with mechanical actions and slider windchests. They built the organ of Eglise Danoise ‘Frederikskirken’ (1955) Jean-Baptiste Gadault (??-1845) and his son Charles (1828- 1883) were organ builders active in Paris in the middle of the XIXth century. Charles Gadault worked on the organ of St. Louis des Invalides in 1853. Michel Giroud (*1939) learned his skills at the firm of Schwenkedel and founded his own company in 1976 in Bernin. In 2000, Jacques Nonnet (*1960, pupil of Formentelli) took over. Michel Giroud was part of the team which restored the organ of Notre-Dame-de-Paris (1992) and he restored the Suret organ of Sainte Élisabeth (1999). Camille Godefroid worked at the Cavaillé-Coll company as cabinet maker between 1876 and 1882. He created his own company and his son B. joined. Their workshop was located in Paris. He built the organ of Chapelle des frères hospitaliers de Saint-Jean-de-Dieu (1903) Philippe Guilmard (Paris), organist and former organ builder. He modified the organ of St. Joseph des Epinettes . Philippe Hartmann (1928-2014) learned his skills at the Gutschenritter and Gonzalez firms. He had his own company during the years 1958-1969. Afterwards, he was kworking as a voicer at the firms of Jean Deloye and Haerpfer. He built the choir organ of Saint-Séverin (1966).
Georges Helbig (1903-??) was an organ builder in the Parisian region, active during the years 1933-1960. He was for some time the representative in Paris of the Jacquot-Lavergne firm. He worked on the organ of Eglise Protestante Unie -Béthanie . Jean Hermann (1906-1965) worked at the Cavaillé-Coll firm and was their last voicer, until 1959, when the house Pleyel closed their organ department. After that, he created his own firm. He was in charge of the maintenance of the organ of Notre-Dame- de-Paris in the fifties of the XXth centuries and the works on this organ during the years 1959-1965. Jan van den Heuvel (Dordrecht, Netherlands) started his firm in 1967. In 1975, his brother joined him. In addition to the organ building principles derived from Dutch organ building traditions, both Jan and Peter were fascinated in nineteenth century French organ building, culminating in the construction of an instrument in Katwijk in 1983 inspired by the 19th century French organ building art. In 1985, they completely rebuilt the famous organ in the St. Eustache and after that, they built several other large instruments in major European cities (Geneva, London, Munich and in Stockholm) and New-York. Saint-Eustache (1980). Bernard Hurvy (*1958) learned his skills at the Haerpfer and Renaud firms, and created his own firm in 1991. His activities comprise both historical and modern instruments and all traction techniques. He worked on the organs of Saint-Jean- Baptiste-de-Grenelle and Notre-Dame-de-Val-de-Grâce . Jules Isambart was a former employee of the workshop of Cavaillé-Coll, who started his own firm in 1936 with other former employees of the Cavaillé-Coll firm, which closed at the end of the fifties of the XXth century. He worked, togehter with another former employee of the Cavaillé-Coll firm (Jean Perroux), on the organ of St. Dominique . Jean-Charles Jonnet (1911-2008) was a pupil of Perroux and Helbig. Chapelle de Notre Dame d'espérance (1972). Detlef Kleuker (1822-1988) was a German organ builder. His style was loosely based on the North-German baroque style. The buffets were rather modern and sharp, while the stop lists were pretty traditional. In 1986, Siegfried Bäune took over management of the firm, which was closed in 1992. Eglise Protestante Allemande (1963) Dominique Lalmand (*1954) worked at Hartmann, Jaccard and Quoirin and started his own firm in 1986. His activities comprise the restoration and construction of organs. He worked on the organ of St. Séverin . next
Organs of Paris

Other

organ builders

XIX-XXth century

1-2-3

ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt COLOPHON
François Delangue (*1959) learned his skills at the Haerpfer- Erman company. He had his own company in Amanvillers from 1984-1994. He worked on the organ of the Chapelle Notre-Dame de l'hôpital du Val-de-grâce . Henry Didier (1861-1918) learned his skills atthe workshop of his father Charles Didier (1831-1881), who had been apprentice at the workshop of Merklin. After a period in the Caribbean region, he returned to France in 1889 and in 1890 he became associated with Mutin (Mutin et Cie) for a short period. After a successful period during the years 1890-1900, his workshop steadily lost quality and work. His son François Didier (1894-1939) tried to recover the firm, but eventually, he had to sell his workshop in 1930 to Jacquot (Rambervillers). He built he organ of Saint-Joseph-des-carmes (1902). Frobenius Orgelbyggeri was founded by Theodor Frobenius (1885–1972) in 1909. After 1925, he adopted the style of the Organ Reform Movement and the neo-classical design. When Theodor's sons Walther and Erik joined the company in 1944, they began to build organs in the classical tradition, with mechanical actions and slider windchests. They built the organ of Eglise Danoise ‘Frederikskirken’ (1955). Jean-Baptiste Gadault (??-1845) and his son Charles (1828-1883) were organ builders active in Paris in the middle of the XIXth century. Charles Gadault worked on the organ of St. Louis des Invalides in 1853. Michel Giroud (*1939) learned his skills at the firm of Schwenkedel and founded his own company in 1976 in Bernin. In 2000, Jacques Nonnet (*1960, pupil of Formentelli) took over. Michel Giroud was part of the team which restored the organ of Notre-Dame-de-Paris (1992) and he restored the Suret organ of Sainte Élisabeth (1999). Camille Godefroid worked at the Cavaillé-Coll company as cabinet maker between 1876 and 1882. He created his own company and his son B. joined. Their workshop was located in Paris. Theu built the organ of Chapelle des frères hospitaliers de Saint-Jean-de-Dieu (1903). Philippe Guilmard (Paris), organist and former organ builder. He modified the organ of St. Joseph des Epinettes . Philippe Hartmann (1928-2014) learned his skills at the Gutschenritter and Gonzalez firms. He had his own company during the years 1958-1969. Afterwards, he was working as a voicer at the firms of Jean Deloye and Haerpfer. He built the choir organ of Saint-Séverin (1966). Georges Helbig (1903-??) was an organ builder in the Parisian region, active during the years 1933-1960. He was for some time the representative in Paris of the Jacquot-Lavergne firm. He worked on the organ of Eglise Protestante Unie -Béthanie . Jean Hermann (1906-1965) worked at the Cavaillé-Coll firm and was their last voicer, until 1959, when the house Pleyel closed their organ department. After that, he created his own firm. He was in charge of the maintenance of the organ of Notre-Dame-de-Paris in the fifties of the XXth century and the works on this organ during the years 1959-1965. Jan van den Heuvel (Dordrecht, Netherlands) started his firm in 1967. In 1975, his brother joined him. In addition to the organ building principles derived from Dutch organ building traditions, both Jan and Peter were fascinated in nineteenth century French organ building, culminating in the construction of an instrument in Katwijk in 1983 inspired by the 19th century French organ building art. In 1985, they completely rebuilt the famous organ in the St. Eustache and after that, they built several other large instruments in major European cities (Geneva, London, Munich and in Stockholm) and New-York. Saint-Eustache (1980). Bernard Hurvy (*1958) learned his skills at the Haerpfer and Renaud firms, and created his own firm in 1991. His activities comprise both historical and modern instruments and all traction techniques. He worked on the organs of Saint-Jean-Baptiste-de- Grenelle and Notre-Dame-de-Val-de-Grâce . Jules Isambart was a former employee of the workshop of Cavaillé-Coll, who started his own firm in 1936 with other former employees of the Cavaillé-Coll firm, which closed at the end of the fifties of the XXth century. He worked, togehter with another former employee of the Cavaillé-Coll firm (Jean Perroux), on the organ of St. Dominique . Detlef Kleuker (1822-1988) was a German organ builder. His style was loosely based on the North-German baroque style. The buffets were rather modern and sharp, while the stop lists were pretty traditional. In 1986, Siegfried Bäune took over management of the firm, which was closed in 1992. Eglise Protestante Allemande (1963) Dominique Lalmand (*1954) worked at Hartmann, Jaccard and Quoirin and started his own firm in 1986. His activities comprise the restoration and construction of organs. He worked on the organ of St. Séverin . next